Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

All About Me

Hello as you've probably seen my name is Hillary Rolin. I am from a little town called Atmore, Alabama. I am majoring in Secondary Education/Mathematics at USA. Every time I mention my major to someone I get a reflexive "Eww" and I think that is because most students do not have good experiences in math classes. Most students are taught to memorize and regurgitate formulas and I think that is what makes math so miserable for students. My goal in teaching math is to help the students understand it. I will require critical thinking in my classroom so that the material is not forgotten as soon as my students leave.
I am 21-years-old and have a beautiful 3-year-old son named Micah. I had him at a very young age, but I would not take it back for anything. I love to sing, not necessarily in public, there is just something so freeing about it. I also love to take pictures in my spare time, especially of my son. I am also a member of the Poarch Band of Creek Indians, something I take great pride in, and I love learning about our history as a tribe.
I hope through this blog you have gotten to know me better and I'm looking forward to spending the semester with all of you!

3 comments:

Ms. Rolin said...

Checking comment notification.

Courtney Muse said...

Hello Hillary! I am Courtney Muse and It is very nice to meet. I am also excited to leave the first of many comments on your new blog, Yippie! As I started reading your post, I read that you have hopes to becomming a math teacher, and of course I to gave you the famos "Eww"! Sorry, I really did! It was relieving to understand why you get that response, because so many students have those bad experiences with math. I will be glad to tell you that I am one of them. I have been putting off this one math class for years. We need good math teachers, and I am pretty sure you would make a excellent one.

Well it has been my pleasure leaving this comment, but I have to get back to the rest of this busy work that this class requires. I wish you luck in your success as well as in EDM 310. You will need it!

Allie Howell said...

Hi, Hillary!

Welcome to EDM310!

Excellent post, but just be sure to add pictures, complete with title and alt modifiers for all of your upcoming posts.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts and hopefully getting to know you in lab this semester!

- Allie

Post a Comment